1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"Rattling" Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Tom Evans, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

The left bank catalytic converter on my 2002 Chevy Subruban (5.3L flex fuel engine) has developped a rattle. The rattle resonates at only one RPM and is otherwise fairly quiet.

Is this problem common?

Is it the forerunner of a problem yet to come? (I just read the computer and it showed no codes pending)

Can I just replace one converter? (the Suburban has 140K miles)

Someone told me to tap on the catalytic converter with a rubber mallet, but I can't see how that would help.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

is it the Cat or the shield ?
  3. Tom Evans

Tom Evans Rockstar

Definitely the cat.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Possibly the catalyst inside breaking apart, it could be an issue in the future if it is breaking up and continues to do this. At this point if you can live with the rattle it's a wait and see thing, eventually it'll need to be replaced but it could last years or hours no way to tell which one.