Rattling noise from rear end

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Chevy350, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

I have this clanking noise when my rear end hits a bump. I think its the same noise as the front and i replaced the front shocks but i still have something making a really annoying noise out back.. I spent over an hour with a hammer under my truck to figure out what it was but i had no luck... ANY IDEAS???? to be safe im going to buy new shocks anyways cuz they are the stock ones and need to be replaced but could it be anything else?

Thanks for the help!!!

2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

The spring bushings.??

3. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

nah im thinking its the ebrake ... not sure tho cuz it does it when you spin tire, it makes a rattling noise but when you drive down the road with the ebrake on half way it stops the ratling when hitting bumps... its wierd... anyone know where to get exploded diagrams of the ebrake assembly and stuff for the driverside rear end???

4. sharpshooterusmc

sharpshooterusmc Rockstar 100 Posts

my truck does the same thing, i just learned to ignore it because everything in the suspension it tight and i dont think anything is going to break, keep us posted if u find the problem

5. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

Will do, im taking it apart today and ill let you know tonight!

6. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

could be the shock bushing have seen them do that before

7. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I have the same problem. I thought it was my exhaust so i had it re-done, no difference. My shocks are in decent shape. I heard it was my bed flexing when goin over ruff terrain but i dont know if thats true. My parking brake light on my dash also flashes on and off sometimes when going over rough terrain so that might be it. Let me know if your parking brake fix works and how you did it. Thanks.

8. XtremeAaron

XtremeAaron Member

Going on a limb here, but I had a good rattle/grinding noise come from out of nowhere at the rear of the truck. Turned out it was a bad u-joint.

9. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Thats true. Ive never thought about a bad u-joint.

10. Chevy350

Chevy350 New Member

It was the ebrake and turns out i also had rocks in there as well.. im replacing the ebrake but i need help on how to take off the old C style brake pad off and how to get the new one on as well as how to install the new hardware. Anyone out there know about this stuff?? thanks!