Rattling noise underneath - exhaust?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by verne, Jul 20, 2010.

1. verne

verne New Member

New Member. 2005 / 2500 HD 4WD/ Ext Cab / Auto Trans. 126K miles. Mostly highway use. Rattling noise underneath, towards front.

First time to dealer - they said the right front wheel assembly was bad, so they changed it out - $ 620! Think I got took on that one! Exactly one week later, exact same noise, again. Back to dealer. Said they couldn't hear it - everything checked out okay. After 4 test drives (last one w/me) - they finally said at first they thought it was catalytic converter, then a loose baffle in muffler. Sporadic - though it seems to get louder the longer I drive. Truck runs great - no overheating, no rear end or tranny noise. Clueless at this point.???

2. TURBO2

TURBO2 New Member

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 and it started in with a sort buzzing/rattling noise. I thought it was the shield on the exhaust system but it turned out to be the baffles in the muffler broke lose ( and this was at only ~30,000 miles).

3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome aboard....

5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes, welcome...

I just replaced one of my mufflers, on the year old dual exhaust.

The inner baffle cames loose and sounded like a lot of loose change rolling around in a clothes dryer.

Cheap overseas parts...