1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rattling noise underneath - exhaust?

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by verne, Jul 20, 2010.

1. verne

verne New Member

New Member. 2005 / 2500 HD 4WD/ Ext Cab / Auto Trans. 126K miles. Mostly highway use. Rattling noise underneath, towards front.

First time to dealer - they said the right front wheel assembly was bad, so they changed it out - $ 620! Think I got took on that one! Exactly one week later, exact same noise, again. Back to dealer. Said they couldn't hear it - everything checked out okay. After 4 test drives (last one w/me) - they finally said at first they thought it was catalytic converter, then a loose baffle in muffler. Sporadic - though it seems to get louder the longer I drive. Truck runs great - no overheating, no rear end or tranny noise. Clueless at this point.???
  2. TURBO2

TURBO2 New Member

I have a 2007 GMC Sierra 1500 and it started in with a sort buzzing/rattling noise. I thought it was the shield on the exhaust system but it turned out to be the baffles in the muffler broke lose ( and this was at only ~30,000 miles).
  3. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard....
  5. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 New Member 1000 Posts

Yes, welcome...

I just replaced one of my mufflers, on the year old dual exhaust.

The inner baffle cames loose and sounded like a lot of loose change rolling around in a clothes dryer.

Cheap overseas parts...