1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rattling noise when engine starts

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sdrodknocker, Dec 30, 2012.

1. sdrodknocker

sdrodknocker New Member

I have a 1994 1500 with a 5.7 V8 engine. I get a rattling or knocking noise coming from ? when I start it, but it goes away as soon as I put the truck in gear. (well mostly, happens under slight acceleration too)
    I removed the serp. belt thinking it was the A/C clutch but it still makes noise.
    This has been happening for about a year, has gotten a little noiser, and is awful when the a/c is on when first started
    I got under the truck and the noise seems to be coming from the rear area of the engine or from the trans.
    last summer I bought a roll over 1500 for the engine but I am not 100% convinced its the engine
    other than the noise the truck runs great, uses a small amount of oil but nothing extreme.(200,000 miles)
    The last time I got the truck smoged he said he thought it was a cracked flex plate
    Has anyone else had this problem or what are your thoughts
    thanks
    P.S. you can hear the noise as the starter cranks the engine at start up
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

You might want to have that flex plate checked out. It could cause this problem.