1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Raw aluminum, wax it or clear coat?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by stephan, Jan 6, 2011.

1. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

I have a set of aluminum wheels (A-6 alloy) that I've spent hours polishing the scratches & gouges out of.

Friend A says: I should put a couple coats of clear coat laquer on them.

Friend B says: the clear coat will get pitted & sandblasted from the road sand that they use on the ice here in the wintertime, & I will be having to sand all the clearcoat off every year & recoating them due to the sandblasting effect. He says just to wax them 2 or 3 times a year, which is a lot less work than sanding them down & re-spraying them.

What do you guys think? Have any of you who have beach/river sand on your roads in the winter, instead of salt, had your clear coat pitted on your wheels from the sandblasting effect?
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Do what most people here in the NE do... Take them off for the winter....aluminum can be a pain to keep clean. I used to take them off show cars and just lay my polisher in them and let the wheel do the work..My arms and hands were all gray at the end and it's not good for ya..
  3. stephan

Winter is when I'll be needing them the most Enkei. I have some BFG All Terr. TA/KOs to put on them for the mud & snow in the wintertime.
  4. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member

if they're just winter wheels id paint em black, or if you want the polished aluminum your just gonna have to keep cleaning em up and working in the elbow grease
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Wash them offten or find some cheap Steel rims for the winter...
  6. stephan

I don't mind washing & waxing them a lot, I'm just wondering what you guys think about the clear coat? Do you think it will hold up ?
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Google "Zoops"
    This stuff is great for raw metal wheels, makes'em shine and helps hold the shine.
    Also works well on raw metal engine parts.
  8. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member

im a painter at a local body shop and i can tell you clear coat does not adhere very well to bare metal of any kind. spray bombs are just cheap lacquerer based clears and arent very durable. you could have them powdercoated with a clear powder, its a bit pricey but its more durable
  9. stephan

I went to the Zoops site & read all the FAQ & all the instructions. It all sounded good till the part about applying it in a straight line (no circular motion etc) That is going to be inpossible to do on these wheels, & I'm wondering if that stuff leaves lines or a grain as it dries. They talk about it like it's a hard drying substance like a clear coat or smth. Have you ever used it or seen wheels that someone has put it on?
    I really like the 2 years that it protects, that part is great.
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I never had a problem with it leaving lines or ridges, make sure you put it on evenly and not to thick.
    I used it on a set of Aluminium wheels on my rock crawler for about 3 years with no problems, only applied it 1 time and they still looked great when I sold them.
    At the time the truck was being used in Va. Beach, Va. we lived literally on the beach and I never had an issue.