READY TO STRANGLE SOME ONE Where to get Switched/Non Switched in 2010 Express Van

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by amswor, Jun 18, 2010.

1. amswor

amswor New Member

My first post here...
    I'd like to rip the wiring out of one of these vehicle and strangle some engineer with it.

The fuse block in a 2010 is apparently entirely protected by the PCM or Computer Relay Center.

There is no such thing as a constant "HOT" terminal in that fuse block, as well as there is nearly no such thing a switched "HOT" that is also constant when the ignition switch is turned on.

I dont want to hack into circuits because I have no idea what the effect is going to be.

I am trying to install a LOJACK style GPS monitor/locator system that a company used to monitor it's fleet vans.

I need 3 connections... Ground (easy/screw to body)
    Ignition Switched 12v
    Constant 12v

Where do I get these power sources in a 2010 Van??

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

All 3 should be available in a few different spots, the steering column, the radio, the headlight switch.. There should be plenty of spots to pull from. Just be very careful you don't mess with any airbag wiring. Airbag wiring is usually wrapped in yellow tape or sheeting, but not always.

3. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I'm no automotive electrician, but my first thought would be to hit the radio leads, those would be the easiest to get to.

4. lancer

lancer Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

cigerette lighter. look at the back of the plug should be an orange and black wire. should be colors. the orange is hot all times just tie into it.

5. jcombs

jcombs New Member

I have a 2008 Colorado, and switched power is not available from the radio leads. The radio is turned off (when the key is pulled out and a door opened) via serial communications (computer).