1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Really stupid, but easy transmission type question...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Jeremy09LTZCrew, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

So I'm halfway around the world and therefore can't go look in my glove box or at anything else on the truck. My question is, does my 2009 Silverado 5.3 6 Speed have the 6L80e transmission? Or is there another version of the 6 speed? I have tried to google it and I can find references to various models but no direct answer to this. I've also tried decoding my VIN and have only found "Hey, you have a 6 speed".

I apologize for the simple question, and thank you for your response.
  2. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I believe that is right.. your pickup should have the 4l80e if it's got the 6spd transmission option on it. Another way would be to call any GM dealer give them the VIN and they'll tell ya anything you want to know about your truck... including what color your kick panel is hahahaha.

6l80e... lmfao.. sorry just caught my mistake
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. zigger215

zigger215 New Member

Transmissions used to be much more simple...if you got more then 90,000 miles out of one it was a 4L80e, if you got less then you had the 4L60e...aww I miss back when. Lol.
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

:lol:

Jeremy, your truck would have the 6L80E. There were two versions of the 6 speed - the 6L80E for the half ton trucks and the 6L90E for the heavy duty trucks. On the other hand, in 2009 both the 4.3 and 4.8 kept the old 4L60E 4 speed without getting any upgrade.
  5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

Lol I somehow got almost 250,000 miles on the original 4L60E in my 93 Burb. I figure the motor will still be running fine when this tranny goes.