Rear air and heat not working?

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by csmac2004, Dec 18, 2008.

1. csmac2004

csmac2004 Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you had some ideas for me. I have an '03 Yukon SLT that has rear air/heat (which can also be controlled individually in the rear if desired). However, the air blew hot during the summer and now it blows cold during the winter! The front works fine.

Any ideas or tips I could try to check out? Thanks, guys!

2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

have you checked for any vaccume leakes?

it kinda sounds like sometihng is crossed :neutral:

3. csmac2004

csmac2004 Member

Ok, my Father-in-Law and I took a close hard look and found out a lot of stuff that is NOT broken, but not yet what IS broken and causing this issue. We removed the side panels around the rear heater and found no vacuum leaks/issues. What we did find was that the two motors that control the temperature and also the air direction (head/feet/both) seem to not be working. When the controls are activated, these motors don't budge. We tested and found power going to each motor, so I'm going to try replacing one and seeing if it solves the issue.

I'm slightly doubtful, as it would be quite a coincidence to have both motors simulaneously fail, or would I be wrong in this thinking?

Anyways, just a bit of an update for you. Luckily these GM heaters put out a good bit of heat, so the front one is ample for now. But come summer, the kids will for sure be crying for the A/C!!! :)

4. NRTolly

NRTolly New Member

Re: Rear air and heat not working

I'm also having the same problem with the heat not working in my '03 Tahoe. I looked around the internet and found a site that I think may solve the problem. Check out this site and see if it works for you.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/313280-tahoe-rear-air-has-no-heat-just-blowing-cold.html

The link isn't copying right, but past it into your browser and remove the spaces between "full size chevy" and it should work.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  5. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I had that issue with my 96 Burban , just got it fixed.

Don't know if its the same problem , but on mine it was the rear expansion valve !!!

6. tmjhazer

tmjhazer New Member

2003 Yukon XL Suburban GM GMC Rear heater Not blowing / working

I got a 2003 GMC yukon Xl, same as the Chevy Suburban. Rear Blower not working. I replace the blower motor and resister before checking power. Still nothing.

I then checked for power: No power to blower, but I have 12V at the orange 3 prog plug going in to the resister,just next to the blower, new standard p/n RU394 - old p/N Carter 7491. The blower motor power comes from resister - 12V into resistor but no V out to rear blower motor.

Where else should I look any one else have this problem?

Getting cold in NY and I need the rear blower, back seat 3rd row is far away from the front blower LOL.

Tom

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010