Rear axle seal bad

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by TJbear, May 17, 2010.

1. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

I noticed my left rear axle seal is seeping a bit. I've never done this sort of job before. How much crap do I have to take apart to do it?? I also might as well replace the brake backing plates since they are almost completely rotted away. Is the above going to be an evening project or a full weekend long tool throwing, beer spilling bitchfest?? :lol:

Thanks for any info/tips.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It shouldn't be too bad of a job. You need to open the diff up. Remove the diff pinion, push the axle shafts in, remove the C-clips, pull the axle shafts out. Pop the seal out, drive the new one in. Put it all back together. If you've never done it before, I wouldn't start it after supper.

3. TJbear

Ugh.....lol. I just replaced the diff cover a few weeks ago. Guess I will have to add a new gasket to the list.

As far as the backing plates, I noticed there are "two piece" units available. Know if those are any good?

Thanks.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No idea about the two piece backers. I would imagine one piece would be stronger. And you have the axle shafts out anyway.

5. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I Think you can get backing plates with the brake assembly already on them..

6. TJbear

Not sure what you mean by this.....??? It has rear disc brakes btw.