Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Axle Swapping truck to van...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by bluebellbus, Sep 30, 2011.

1. bluebellbus

bluebellbus New Member

I have a 1990 G30 van with a bad semi floating 14 bolt and I'm wondering whether I could use a 1 ton single wheel truck with a full floating axle as a donor for a new rear end? Are the widths interchangable or am I going to have to find another van as a donor?

Thanks for your help in advance

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

According to the 14-bolt bible (Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive), no, they will not interchange. The Pickup has a width of 67.5" where you van is 70" wide

TypeWidth WMS-WMSTube OD / ThicknessApplicationsHubs* Shafts**

SRW
    (single rear wheel truck)
    67.5" 3-3/8" / 0.5"Type A Type 1

DRW
    (dual rear wheel truck)
    72"3.5" / 0.5"Type B Type 2

C&C
    (cab and chasis truck)
    63.5"3.5" / 0.5"Type B Type 1

Van
    70"G30 and G35Type A Type 3

A truck rearend will be too narrow. Unfortunately, I think this is one of the rare cases where you need to find one out of another van or rebuild yours. You are correct that typically they're interchangeable, but the G30 vans appear to be different. Measure it out with a tape measure to be sure.

3. bluebellbus

bluebellbus New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Lots of good information there. Excuse my lack of understanding, but what does the 70" width refer to? Axle to Axle including hub and drum? Or is it just the width from each inside of the drum where it mounts?

4. Crawdaddy

Axle widths are typically expressed in wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. That should mean that if your drum slides onto the hub, then the drum's included.

5. bluebellbus

bluebellbus New Member

Ahh, I understand. Well I just came across a 2002 14 bolt with a 3.81 ratio. It doesn't say much about years. Would anyone happen to know if that would fit??

6. bluebellbus

bluebellbus New Member

Anybody? I can get one from a guy for an absolute steal?

7. bluebellbus

bluebellbus New Member

2002 GMC 1 ton van rear axle swap into 1990 GMC G30 van???

Hi All,

Can someone with rear axle expertise tell me if I can swap this into my van? I have a 1990 GMC G30 with a 14 bolt 3.73 axle. It has bad bearings or more and needs to be replaced. I have available to me an axle out of a 2002 1 ton GMC savanna with only 100K. So my question is, is this axle swappable? Or are they completely different? It's 14 bolt like mine so the owner says, and it also has a 70 inch width drum to drum, like mine.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks.

8. Crawdaddy