1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear axle width more narrow than front

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Z28Johnny, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny Rockstar

So I am still looking for a good deal on some 265/75/16 tires to widen up the tires a little. One thing that is really noticeable on my 96 2500 Suburban is that the rear tires are in about 2" further than the front tires. The front tires come about out about even with the flares. The rear ones are definitely sucked in.

Are buying 2" spacers okay to add to the rear? I use the Suburban almost exclusively for pulling my Toy Hauler.

Thank you,
    John
  2. hunky

hunky Rockstar 100 Posts

I put 1 1/2" spacers on mine. Looks alot better,no problems.
  3. berg

berg Member

I know this is an older post but I'm thinking about doing this as well.

Did you get spacers with studs in them? Or put longer studs on yours and then slip spacers over those?

I haven't measured but I'm guessing 1.5-2" would be about right.
  4. thrasher

thrasher Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, I thought my eyes were messing with me. Why the hell did Chevy let a truck out the door like that? Looks retarded!
  5. reaper

reaper New Member

It has been a bit of a pain when it comes to tire rotation, but I fixed my sunk in rears with new wheels for the back. I went with a different offset in the rear, and pushed them out that way. The way my wheels are built with the center caps, you cant tell from the side, but the rear tires are pushed out a great deal. I have to swap tires on wheels, when I rotate, but it is worth it to me. They are not 100% perfect, but way better than stock. I cant remember the offset numbers now, but will look them up and post later. BTW they are Weld Racing Directional.
  6. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Most trucks are like that (especially IFS), as well as front wheel drive cars. I know it looks goofy but its the reality, i am sure ther is an atual reason for this from a design standpoint. not to mention that over the years IFS sags in a different direction then a live axle and springs.
  7. reaper

reaper New Member

I was told one time, that Chevy did this, so that the front axle is digging in 4x4 and the rear tires are digging in a different track. I don't know how much truth there is to it, but it makes sense to me.
  8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Using wheel spacers for any sort of towing is incredibly stupid and not reccomended. The spacers are not built to accomodate the weight and forces that are applied when towing.
  9. berg

berg Member

I don't do much towing with mine and when I do it is 5 miles down to the boat launch and back and a few longer hauls for camping trips in the summer.

I finally lined my truck up square in the garage and eyeballed a couple 2x4's by each tire on the rear, then stuck a tape measure across them. I want to say it was 74.5". Did the same thing across the front and it was identical. The difference on the truck, at least mine, is in the sheet metal. The front end is narrower so it covers the tires better. The axle widths front to back appear to be the same width, at least on my 1/2 ton. I haven't actually tried measuring fender edge to fender edge but with a few longer 2x4's I could.

I see tons of these trucks rolling down the road with a lift/tires and there is more tire exposed on the front then is covered by the fender. And of course the back end looks great. That is part of what got me looking in the first place. Push the rears "out" and it may not look as bad.

I worked at Les Schwab way back in the day and having two different offsets for the wheels would definitely be a royal pain if you ever plan to rotate tires on a regular basis! Could just run it like a 2wd hot rod with meats on the back and pizza cutters on the front that you just replace as needed.

I'll be running the stocker tires/wheels for a while so I'm guessing that will be putting less strain on the axle bearings with spacers in there than if I had a lift with wider wheels and 33's or 35's on it. I may keep this truck stock height for a while or maybe for good. Then get an old K5 for a toy or something.
  10. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny Rockstar

I ended up buying new rims with wider tires. There is still a difference, but it isn't as noticeable since the tires are much wider.

before:
    [​IMG]
    after:
    [​IMG]
    before:
    [​IMG]
    after:
    [​IMG]