1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear barn door issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by vncj96, Jul 26, 2014.

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

the driver side barn door handle broke on my suburban, has anyone replaced one of these?? I don't want to have to try and take the panel off until I am ready to do it as I don't wont this door to not be able to shut, right now its closed so my truck is still usable.

Part number, tips or tricks for the fix are appreciated
  2. rustyk65

rustyk65 New Member

In my opinion, go to a salvage yard where you can pull it yourself, then you see first-hand what is involved. If something breaks in the yard, no harm, no foul. As a plus, it should be cheaper than a dealer.
  3. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

This one's easy. Order a handle from LMC Trucks, pull the interior panel to install. Did it a month ago. Watch out, one of the handle mounting bolts is hidden behind the door center brace and hard to get to. Clean the lock cylinder retainer spring well, and maybe stretch a little more tension into it. Mine kept falling out of the new handle, inside the door because the spring was weak and the notch it clicks into in the new handle got full of smutch off the old cylinder.