rear brake backing plate 04 tahoe

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mike042, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mike042

mike042 Member

the backing plate is rusting out on rear brakes on my 04 tahoe Z71 anyone know is this a major pain to replace for backyard mech?

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Are they drum or discs? and which backing plate/like the plate that holds the wheel cylinder (if it is a drum brake)???

3. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

I replaced my 00's "backing plates" when I replaced the rear axle seals recently. On mine, which is equipped with rear disc brakes, they are really a dust shield but Napa still calls them a backing plate. Mine were totally rotted away:

[​IMG]

I had to remove the calipers, rotors, e brake shoes, rear diff cover, axle shaft retaining clips, both axle shafts. and finally the device in the naxt pic with the e brake cable going to it:

[​IMG]

4. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have never take off a differential before you might want to get some help this can be a messy job.

:cool: Steve

5. mike042

mike042 Member

great replies thanks alot it is rear disk and the answers were just what i was looking for i wanted to know what i was in for b4 taking it apart. glad i stumbled on this club i will be back often. thanks again