1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear brake backing plate 04 tahoe

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mike042, Jun 19, 2010.

1. mike042

mike042 Member

the backing plate is rusting out on rear brakes on my 04 tahoe Z71 anyone know is this a major pain to replace for backyard mech?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Are they drum or discs? and which backing plate/like the plate that holds the wheel cylinder (if it is a drum brake)???
  3. TJbear

TJbear Rockstar 100 Posts

I replaced my 00's "backing plates" when I replaced the rear axle seals recently. On mine, which is equipped with rear disc brakes, they are really a dust shield but Napa still calls them a backing plate. Mine were totally rotted away:

[​IMG]

I had to remove the calipers, rotors, e brake shoes, rear diff cover, axle shaft retaining clips, both axle shafts. and finally the device in the naxt pic with the e brake cable going to it:

[​IMG]
  4. SliverZ71

SliverZ71 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have never take off a differential before you might want to get some help this can be a messy job.

:cool: Steve
  5. mike042

mike042 Member

great replies thanks alot it is rear disk and the answers were just what i was looking for i wanted to know what i was in for b4 taking it apart. glad i stumbled on this club i will be back often. thanks again