Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Brake Help.... please

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rageybug, Jun 12, 2013.

1. rageybug

rageybug New Member

I just replaced the rear pads and rotors on my 2000 Silverado 4x4. The old parts came out fine, but when putting the new parts on, I ran into some trouble. I removed the two 18mm bolts holding on the caliper. When putting the bolts back in, the new brake rotor pulls to one side and sits crooked. The caliper side (3:00 position) looks good but the other side (9:00 position) sticks out a few mm. After playing around with them I got them almost straight. I put the wheels back on and took it for a test drive. The back brakes are not releasing, they stay on. I made sure to fully compress the single piston in the caliper before putting the new pads in and the caliper fit easily over the new rotors. Any thoughts? Could the rotors be too thick? They are listed as 3/4" which is about 19mm. I did remove and install them a 2nd time but same issue. I have done brakes dozens of times before, it is a straight forward job, but this is strange... Here is the exact parts I bought --> http://www.ebay.com/itm/300880010149?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Check out this thread, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/90230-How-To-Replace-Front-Disc-Brakes , It is for the front brakes but, they are basically the same. Maybe the rotors and pads are at the top end of the thickness spec or over. So, even if they do release they are still dragging. You also need to be sure that the pads are moving freely in the mounting clips and that your rotor is held straight during the install of the pads. If you don't hold the rotor straight then the pads can get cocked and bend

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  3. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I have come across new imported rotors that were just slightly undersize at the center hole, or just oversized on total diameter, causing them to not fit correctly. I may not be stating that clearly, as it has been awhile since I had the problem. But....take off the new rotor and take precise measurements of thickness, overall rotor diameter, actual rotor surface diameter, etc. and compare to same of your old rotor. I will bet there is a mismatch, or bad machining, somewhere.

4. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

my guess is they sold you the wrong rotors. if the off set is wrong the caliper will not set correctly over the rotor surface therefore cocked. you should have never operated the vehicle . now how can you return these rotors ?

with the old and new flat to the ground see how they are different in size and off set.

also make sure the park brake drum is correct and the same.