1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear brake question

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by bart6180, Jul 6, 2011.

1. bart6180

bart6180 Member

on my 85 c-2500 for some reason when the truck sits for awhile my driver side rear brake grabs only when the truck is put in reverse, if i drive it for a little bit and then put it in reverse the brake works fine, only seems to happen when the brakes are cold. any ideas would be musc appreciated
  2. Crazeetxn

Crazeetxn Rockstar

Don't know the cause, but a couple of solutions may be to pull the drum off and spray some cleaner in there. That and bleed them.
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

pull the drum and see if anything looks unusually worn. see if the springs, e brake cable etc are sticking
  4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on pulling the drum & having a look inside. My right rear did that for the first couple stops & it was slight surface rust on the drum causing it to grab. The root cause was the rubber plug for the adjustment hole was missing & allowing water ingress
  5. bart6180

bart6180 Member

don't see anything in the drums,i've replaced the wheel cylinder, new springs,shoes are descent, new brake lines from the proportioning valve all the way back, new rear brake hose.