Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

rear brakes on 2003 suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by kennyb79, Feb 15, 2012.

1. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

So the lining fell right off my pad on my rear brakes of my suburban. When I changed the pads I noticed that the piston went in pretty hard. is there really a good way to clean these up and lube them real well so they will operate smooth? I was told by a neighbor that he usually takes the pads off and get the piston to come out a good distance, put some never seize on it and then use the c clamp to put it back in place…hopefully that will lube it all up good. Makes sense to me. Trouble with my neck of the woods is we have a lot of salt/sand and grime on the roads in the winter and it gets into everything…creates quite a mess. Is this a good idea to do it this way, I'd rather not buy new calipers if I didn't have to.

2. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would be very reluctant to try to reuse that caliper and here's why...If it was hard to push back because of corrosion then the dust boot has failed and the seal WILL now fail and soon. Probably not a catastrophic failure with complete loss of all braking but the ability to stop has saved my butt way more often than the ability to accelerate. Do yourself and your loved ones a favor and replace it. At the least rebuild it and if you use an antiseize then get a high temp formulation, no grease.

3. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

dpeter gave you some great info

4. kennyb79

kennyb79 Rockstar 100 Posts

...sometimes a need a good kick in the butt, I don't know what I was even thinking..... I pulled the brakes off again and checked out the calipers. one piston was sticking so bad that it wouldn't even come out when there was no pressure against it. so for $56 each and a couple hours time I went to advanced auto and bought a couple of new calipers. now, for 100 bucks I've got a brand new rear brake system on the old girl, and the piece of mind to know that I can stop when I need to.

and I agree, the need to stop is more necessary than the need for speed. thanks for the advice guys.

5. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That $100.00 you spent is far cheaper than anything that could have happened to not having your brakes work correctly.

6. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Congrats on a job well done!

7. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

I know this problem is fixed but It would be a bad idea to push out the piston almost all the way out and put on anti seize. Behind the dust cover is a square type o ring. About 15 20 years ago most everyone rebuilt their calipers. A garage would rather replace than rebuild as well. But now I don't think you can buy a

rebuild kit, well maybe at Napa. I would just rather spend the money and get a lifetime guarantee on them. In order to rebuild take a rag or rags and stuff between the piston and side of the caliper and lighty blow air through the brake hose hole until the piston pops out. Then you clean up the piston and make it nice and smooth again, clean the inside of the caliper replace the o-ring, dust seal, put some brake fluid on the piston (as lube) then slowly push piston back in.