rear calipers dragging on 02 suburban

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mcjr, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mcjr

mcjr New Member

Have a 02 Chev Suburban 1500, 4 wheel drive with wheel disc brakes. When the vehicle is cold the brakes are fine. The more you drive the rear calipers will start to not release all the way and keep pressure on the rotors to the point that you start to get a brake smell from the right rear wheel. The eight rear wheel seems to be worse than the left rear but both are having an issue. I have checked the parking brake shoes and they are ok. You can let vehicle sit for about 15-20 minutes and the calipers will release to normal. Any sugestions????

2. BASSIST

BASSIST Rockstar 100 Posts

Check the hoses to see if they are bad

3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have heard of guys having water in their brake fluid. When it gets warm then the rear brakes would lock up. After they changed the fluid out the issue went away

4. dpeter

dpeter Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I was going to suggest parking brake but as I read further you had already checked that. Then I thought caliper slide pins and mounting surfaces could be hanging up a bit BUT then realized if you looked at the parking brake then you have already had those items apart. You did clean and lube the appropiate caliper parts when you put it back together, right. So, barring some problem with the anti-lock or master cylinder I agree with Bassist. As hard as it was for me to believe, I had a front hose go bad in a way that acted as a check valve of sorts and kept the caliper from releasing completely. I do not know of a way to check for that. I would replace the caliper lines and the hose from the chasis to axle since both side are involved. Good luck and be sure to let us know how it works out.

AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Check the hoses.
    Near the end of the hose is a small orofice designed to help keep fluid pressure up while braking and to keep pressure at the ready when not braking, I've seen these orofices get gunked up internally and restrict fluid flow in either direction causing a dragging brake.
    Also check the brake bypass valve it could be sticking and causing dragging.