Rear clunking sound

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by peterK, Apr 7, 2005.

1. peterK

peterK New Member

When I first accelerate when I am in 2 wheel drive I am hearing a slight clunk noise comming from the rear end. I took the truck too a mechanic and was told it is the rear end noise is just the rearend spooling up and the noise is normal.

There were several things that we figured it wasn't. It's not the brake drum shifting from the breaks, not a U joints, not the rear leaf spring either.

The Noise is not normal i don't think. it's a metal "clang" noise. Can anyone help?

2. kamikos

kamikos Rockstar

How long has this been going on? A co-worker had a 99 Tahoe that started doing this and shortly after his rear-end grenaded. I've never heard it on mine, and it if is loud then I highly doubt its "normal". I think you should look for a 2nd opinion.

3. 99TahoeNut

99TahoeNut New Member

Yeah, i agree. if you can hear a "clunk" or other metalic noise, then it's NOT normal and you should have it looked ot. Seriously now. Take it into a tranny/rear-end shop and have them do a once-over.

My favorite place to buy new chevy tahoe parts online www.gmpartsclub.com in case you needed a part in the future. I would stay away from the dealership when possible for ordering parts.

4. ARNIE

ARNIE Rockstar

When was the last time you changed the gear oil in the rear diff? Have you been off road in sand? It could be the GM locker in the rear diff. It it were mine I would take off the diff cover and have a look around. If you off road in heavy sand, remove the rear drive shaft and clean all that area out. Also look on the rear diff cover for any "dings" or dents that look like they came from inside the diff.

5. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What did the mechanic do for you? Did he take it apart and look around, or was it a look and listen type of diagnosis? I'd be interested in hearing what would cause something like that.

6. 99TahoeNut

99TahoeNut New Member

I would think that any abnormal noise like that would (or should) be looked at by taking the thing apart and having a look around like Arnie said.

7. peterK

peterK New Member

Thanks for all the information and input everyone. I took it to another shop and they opened up the rear diff and it had some foreign debris in there (maybe sand, maybe some water got in there? It's pretty wet and muddy around seattle at times, in case you hadn't know that.:) )

Anyhow, got that all cleaned up and everything is working like normal now. They only charged me shop time and a small diagnostic fee and it's working great now.

8. kamikos

kamikos Rockstar

Good to hear. I'm thinking you probably got lucky. If nothing else, you got a good check and cleaning and re-oiling on the diff so you know if should be good for a while yet.

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sand in rear differential.

Sounds good. A little sand over time can wear down metal, rocks, anything. Good to have it cleaned out, etc.