1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear coil spring problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Avalanche Forum (Escalade EXT)' started by freddie, Apr 16, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. freddie

freddie New Member 100 Posts

Is there something that hold the rear coil springs in place other than the wieght of my 03 AV 1500 Z71 4x4? Like a retainment bolt or something. I was lazy one time and had Walmart change the oil and both coil springs fell out to the side and was rubbing on the frame. Thanks for any help
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Here is a link to the parts http://www.gmpartsclub.com/parts-ca...-v8-gas/rear-suspension/suspension-components

The rubber insulators are held by spring pressure.

I wonder if you have the right shocks, or the right springs. The shocks should limit the drop of the rear axle so that the coil springs can not get loose enough to fall out.

In other words, if the springs are the correct length then the shock travel is too long. If the shocks are the correct size, then the coil springs are too short.
  3. freddie

I have been searching for answers and ran across that link too. I did put new shocks and asked the sales rep specifically if these fit a stock truck. I put on some Skyjacker 8000. Cause I do some light off roading hunting and stuff and thought those would do good for what I do. I spoke to my local after market parts supplier and he said he thought they should have a bolt or bracket in the top of the coil springs to hold them in place
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Like RayVoy says the springs are basically held in the spring bucket by the weight of the truck. Suburbans have issues with sagging springs after a while as they get compressed and begin to collapse.
    Along with that SkyJacker 8000 shocks for a stock height truck are also the same shocks used on a truck with up to 2" lift that means they have slighly more travel than stock shocks which will allow the axle to drop a little more between those two things that could be why your springs fell out.
    To prevent this you could fabricate or purchase a set of limiting straps for your axle.
  5. freddie

Thanks for the info. I am the second owner and I believe the previous owner did a fair amount of hauling. I got it at 100k miles do you thing that the spring may have collapsed? But I didn't have any problems till after the shock install. I am about to have some new tires put on in the next few weeks. This is why I am trying to figure out what is the best thing to do
  6. tbplus10

Its a ten yr old truck so Id expect the springs to have lost some of their height not exactly a total collapse but enough that with slighly longer shocks you have this problem.
    take a look at the rear bump stops if the springs arent holding up as well as they should you should see siggns on them where youve been bottoming out.
  7. freddie

image.jpg image.jpg First pic is the drivers side and the second is passenger side
  8. tbplus10

Yea youve been chewing up those bump stops.
    Time to start looking at coil replacements.
  9. freddie

Do you happen to have any suggestions? I found some MOOG replacements. And do I only need the coil insulators or do I need both the insulators and coil seats? On the diagram I found it only shows coil insulators. But at Rockauto.com it shows both listed for my truck. Thanks for all your help
  10. tbplus10

Do they have pictures with the parts?
    The insulators are normally a rubber pad or bushing the coil sits on to insulate it from rubbing directly on the coil seat or bucket.
    The seat is normally what the coil sits in to stay in place.
    I dont see you mentioning the actual coil itself.