1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Defroster

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by makthenif, Jul 26, 2007.

1. makthenif

makthenif Member

The rear door defroster grids are not working on my '96 Sub 5.7. What should I be looking for to troubleshoot this problem?

2. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You said door so I am guessing it has barn doors?

If so when you open them you will see a row of pins that look like copper. They corrode so they may look green in color. That is what sends the power to the door itself. When the door closes they come in contact with the door part of connection to the grid.

They get green and dirty, they don’t send power to the window grid. If they are dirty or green I have used fine emery paper to clean them.

But you also need to look at the grid on the windows themselves for any damage to the grid on the window. Over the years the windows get washed many times and if you are not careful you can damage that grid causing some of the grid lines not to work. They heat up and actually do the defrosting.

If the grids are not working in just a few places look for brakes. You can get a repair kit, basically a eclectically conductive paint. Use tape to make a nice clean line, brush on the paint in the places that the lines are broken. Let dry and recheck to see if they work again.

3. 84fiero123

PS

I have to do the line fix on several of the lines in both my door grids this summer. You have to do the line repair in like 70 F or more. So this is not a winter repair, unless you have a heated garage.

If I remember I will do a photo write up with pictures on how to do it, STML, no guaranties on if I will remember.

4. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Emery cloth and then spray on some contact clean. I use it for trailer plug connector to keep it clean too.

[​IMG]

5. 84fiero123

Hey Jamie, seeing you are the electrical guy, somewhat anyway. Cable
    What is a good spray to keep electrical connections from turning green, getting fouled.

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was an Electrician for a year before I started Cable, but the answer to your question is tough cuz one thing I have learned with cable is you can't stop water...All our repairs are water related in some way. So you can hold it back or minimize the damage it is going to do. I use silicone grease and contact cleaner(There is several different brands) in exterior connections. Huge fan of doing splices on cars/trucks with solder and heat shrink tubes. If I were to ask everybody to take a picture of there rear trailer plug I bet we'd be surprised (Unless its brand new)