rear diff ? 1998 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by crazyforgms, Mar 6, 2013.

1. crazyforgms

crazyforgms Member

My 98 k 1500 has the 10 bolt rear axle will a posi unit out of a 95 impala ss 10 bolt rear axle work in my truck rear axle? .They both have a 8.5 ring gear. My buddy has a used posi unit that I can get cheap any info will help. Thanks crazyforgms:glasses:

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It should handle the torque, but you need to check the track width, the car axle might be narrower than the truck axle.

Also, check the spring perches, the car probably has coil springs and the truck probably has leaf.

Then, you have the brakes to consider; the car is probably disk, the truck is probably drum, and don't for get about the parking brake, it would be nice to reuse all of the truck parts.

And, don't forget the hubs, the car probably has 5 stud wheels and the truck may have 6

3. crazyforgms

crazyforgms Member

rear dift

sorry what I maent is used the posi unit out of the axle & put in in my truck axle

crazyforgms
    :glasses:

4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm not familiar with all of the applications, but I do see that the GM 10 bolt came with both 28 and 30 spline options. If I had to guess, I would guess that the car application uses a 28 spline axle where the truck application uses a 30 spline axle. I have no idea if the 28 and 30 spline carriers are the same or not. Maybe they are the same and the only difference is in the spider gears/other guts of the carrier, or maybe the carriers are different. If nobody here can answer the question definitively, you might ask the parts guy at a dealership if the gov-lock carrier for the 28 and 30 spline are the same part number or if they are different part numbers. If they are the same, then the carriers are probably interchangeable (if you swap out/replace the spider gears with 30 spline versions). If the carriers are different, then they may not be interchangeable.

5. crazyforgms

crazyforgms Member

thanks for the info

crazyforgms