1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Diff Fluid 2003 Silverado 4x4

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by ChevyBoy2009, Sep 26, 2010.

1. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hello i have a 2003 Chevy Silverado 1500 LS 4x4 (on floor) with the 4.8L. I bought the truck at 100k (truck has 115k now) and i never asked the guy if he ever did the rear end fluid so now im gonna do it just to be safe.The ?'s i have are what weight i should use,i was thinking Mobil 1 75-90 fully synthetic.I hardly pull anything,maybe a small pop-up camper and maybe alittle trailer with a zero-turn mower on it.And the next ? i have is where is the drain plug?...i saw a plug in the back and close to the top of it but how does it drain then?...and how many quarts does it hold?
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The Mobil 1 is great gear lube. You have to remove the rear pan to drain/change the fluid. After draing I always clean the housing/gears with brake clean and spin the rear so I can look at all the ring&pinion teeth. Holds 2-3 qts.
  3. ChevyBoy2009

k should i replace the gasket and cover or just the gasket??...and is 75-90 the right stuff??...amd i assume the back plug i found is the fill plug,and should i fill it till it drips out or alittle bit down??
  4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

So after you do that you just put the pan back on and fill her up to the top?
  5. ChevyBoy2009

i believe so
  6. silveradotrailblazer

Yes buy and install a new gasket. The plug near the top and towards the front of the differential is the fill plug. Fill slowly till fluid comes out. You use a socket extension to remove the plug.
  7. ChevyBoy2009

k i will buy a new gasket,3 bottles of Mobil 1 75-90 FS and clean everything and then fill it till it comes out....and that should last me what 75k or ??...and any additives or no?? Thanks Nick
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. silveradotrailblazer

That should do it.
  9. ChevyBoy2009

i just called Advanced Auto Parts and they said i just need to use RTV and make my own basically,but does that sounds right?...or should i try somewhere else??...and they have Mobil 1 for 10.68 a bottle??
  10. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Also do I need a certain type of fluid since mines a 2500 and I pull a lot?