1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear diff fluid

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jt_5.7, Sep 17, 2009.

1. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 Rockstar

i want to change my fluid but im not sure how could anyone tell me how i would be able to do this
  2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

My last 3 trucks were like this, not sure what year yours is but its probably the same.

The drain plug is on the bottom of the rear differential, it has a square hole in it so just take a 3/8" ratchet wrench without any socket on it and stick it in the hole to remove the drain plug. There should be a fill plug on the back side of the case that comes out the same way. After all the old fluid is drained, put the bottom plug back in and fill it up from the top hole until the fluid is filled up to that hole. Replace the plug and you're done.

You'll have to check your manual for what fluid to use, I believe I used 75W90 in my half ton and 75w140 in the 2500hd. If you have a limited slip rear differential (real limited slip, not just the G80 locker) you will need an extra bottle of additive for it to work properly too.

Filling it will be a real pain in the ass too, I found taking down the spare tire made it a lot easier to get a funnel in there. Or maybe a little hand pump to fill it up would work good too.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you have a 10-bolt rear (10 rear diff cover bolts) you have to remove the diff cover to drain the fluid. Get a new gasket for it and reinstall the cover. On the passenger side of the pinion near the top will be a 3/8 or 1/2 square-drive plug. Pull it with just a bare ratchet of the appropriate size (well, it's close enough, just make sure you're in the hole all the way) and then fill the diff until the fluid level is even with the bottom edge of the fill plug.
  4. jt_5.7

jt_5.7 Rockstar

ya i have a 96 sivlerado with the 10 bolt rear and from looking at it im going to have to take my covor off
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Make sure you can get the fill plug out first. You don't want to drain the diff, and not be able to fill it back up.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A very good point that has slowed down more than one r/r diff fluid change.