1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Diff Locking will not Disengage Immediately

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jason778, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jason778

jason778 New Member

Hello, New to the forum. I have a 2005 Chevy 1500 Z71 which I have owned since new. It has 124,000K on it. I am having an issue with the Rear Diff. Yesterday, I backed out of the driveway and hit some ice, the Rear End Locked and I backed out OK. When I got to the street to turn I noticed one rear wheel was being dragged. Basically the Rear End Lock did not dis-engage. I drove a few hundred feet and made a slight turn. When I did I heard a pop from the Rear Diff and from there it unlocked and all was fine. The exact same thing happened his morning and I was able to unlock it the same way. 4WD was not engaged in either situation. Any ideas about what might be causing this?

Thanks!
    Jason
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi Jason,

Your diff can't unlock once it's locked until there's slack in the axle. What you are experiancing is more or less normal operation. This happens in my truck at times and is no big deal. Welcome to the GMTC.
  3. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ditto. The "bang" is a little unnerving, but small price to pay. The G80 gets me out of those situations where others dare not go.
  4. jason778

jason778 New Member

Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better about it!

Jason