1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear diff seal replacement.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by gates59, Sep 30, 2010.

1. gates59

gates59 New Member

I thought I read somewhere that the rear diff seal is reusable but can't seem to find that information anywhere now. I will be changing the oil some time this week and don't realy want to play with the brake lines attatched to the top of the diff. Hate playing with brake lines. I was just going to remove all the lower bolts and loosen the top ones to remove oil then reinstall if the seal is reusable. Pulling back on the brake lines to remove cover is not something I want to do. I always seem to crack brake lines when I play with them.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

well you'll know if it is reusable or not if it leaks afterwards. dont know the real answer just that most people replace any of those once removed. Shouldnt really need to move the brake lines much after removing the bolt that holds them in. once bolts are out not much distance is needed to take off the cover. looking at mine ther is only one small bracket attached to the top bolt, but once the bolt is removed there are no lines that would actually need to be moved. the hard line sits on top of the diff and the e brake cable is routed in front of the cover but an inch or two out and is flexible and wouldnt get in the way one way or the other. So if its like mine shouldnt have to worry about hurting anything. gaskets are cheap and better than the diff leaking.
  3. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Yeah I'm about to do the same project this weekend but I would highly recommend a new gasket. It'll be worth your time in the long run. I'm replacing mine.
  4. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

When I replaced mine, they didn't even use a gasket I don't think, just used a RVT sealant around the edge. I've heard thats the way to go to ensure a really good seal, and mine hasn't had a leak since (5000+ miles)
  5. gates59

gates59 New Member

Well I just ended up doing it. It is not replacable. I don't know where I read that. What a job removing old gasket. Took 3 hours. I used rtv gasket maker. I could not find anyone out here that had my gasket. It will also make it easyer to remove next time. I did not add oil in it yet. I will wait until it sets. I used the gray type rtv. I will add oil tomorrow and change the front diff and the transfer case also. I will wait next summer for the transmission oil. Kind of hard to get the transmission to temp this time of year. I have 70000 km on it and the manual does sait it is ok to change at 80000 under regular duty. It does look clean. Thanks for the reply's.