Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear diff? Stop it!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by janikphoto, Jun 9, 2012.

1. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Ever since I had the rear diff drained, cleaned up and had a new gasket put on, the cover bolts keep backing out. I'll discover a drip/leak down there every month or so. It was tight as a drum before. What do I need to do, so these bolts stay put?
    :grrrrrr:
  2. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Loctite but I dont remember wich color for that application.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Blue loctite is appropriate for most vehicular applications. I would NOT use red loctite, as heat -must- be applied to remove it and the melting temp of the substance is 200F if what I've read regarding it is accurate.

Surreal
  4. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You don't mention the year, but some diffs require a paste/liquid/caulk/glue type of gasket sealant around the cover.
  5. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I used Hylomar non-hardening gasket maker on mine, and it is still dry.
  6. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I keep forgetting this forum doesn't show our vehicles in our profile like many other car forums do. I have a 1999 K1500 suburban.
  7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like [MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION] said, Blue loctite. But, you have to make sure that you clean every hole out with brake parts cleaner and dry them with compressed air. You must also clean the bolts. If there is oil or dirt on the bolts or in the holes the loctite will be pointless.
  8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Hey, that's what I have, a 99 Burb K1500. It sounds like the blue locktite is your cure though. Can't live without the stuff. Pikey is right. I left some studs and holes oily and dirty once and used locktite in 'em. The stuff might as well had been designed as a bolt ejector.