Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear diff?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Landslide, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Landslide

Landslide New Member

I drove my 90 Burb to work the other day and I had this odd feeling,almost like I was towing a small trailer,I hadn't noticed it before and figured I'd look at it on my day off, well after I got off work I took the kids to school and on my way home I turned a right corner and BAM this loud noise came from the rear end and slightly jerked my truck, once I straightend out the noise went away,and never came back mostly all left turns back to my house until I turned on my street,right hand turn another loud bang and some fairly hideous grinding noise until I straightend out again,I'm thinking something in my rear diff is broke,any other general thoughts?
  2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Change the differential fluid ASAP. Could be the locker is just hanging up. I like the LUCAS brand, but there are lots of alternatives like Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.
    [​IMG]

While you have the cover off, any debris in the carrier will indicate trouble. Otherwise you should be good to go. If you've never done it yourself before, here is a great pictoral how to: http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm
  3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts