Rear diff?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Landslide, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Landslide

Landslide New Member

I drove my 90 Burb to work the other day and I had this odd feeling,almost like I was towing a small trailer,I hadn't noticed it before and figured I'd look at it on my day off, well after I got off work I took the kids to school and on my way home I turned a right corner and BAM this loud noise came from the rear end and slightly jerked my truck, once I straightend out the noise went away,and never came back mostly all left turns back to my house until I turned on my street,right hand turn another loud bang and some fairly hideous grinding noise until I straightend out again,I'm thinking something in my rear diff is broke,any other general thoughts?

2. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Change the differential fluid ASAP. Could be the locker is just hanging up. I like the LUCAS brand, but there are lots of alternatives like Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.
    [​IMG]

While you have the cover off, any debris in the carrier will indicate trouble. Otherwise you should be good to go. If you've never done it yourself before, here is a great pictoral how to: http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/diff-1.htm

3. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts