Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Differential issues- common ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trailblazer Forum (GMC Envoy)' started by 03TrailBlazer, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 03TrailBlazer

03TrailBlazer Rockstar

Out of curiosity, I am wondering if anyone has had rear differential issues? Recently, I had to have mine replaced in my 2003 Trailblazer LS.

The dealer said that they have seen about 5 Trailblazer's with this problem. I have never taken the truck off-road. I use 4WD for traction in snow, but that is it. I was surprised to this fail.

Thankfully, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought the SUV, so it only cost me $200 bucks ($100 deductible + $100 for bearings the warranty would not cover) to get fixed ($1400.00 repair bill). They had to replace the whole rear differential, since the $25.00 part that was broken was unavailable. (which figures)

Has anyone else seen this issue ?

Just curious...

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I haven't had any problems, and I can't recall coming across anyone with those types of problems. What were your symptoms?

3. 03TrailBlazer

03TrailBlazer Rockstar

Well, it became very difficult to drive. When I would turn, the rear tires would squeal (even from a complete stop). It was odd. Intitially, I thought it was the abs locking up (pulsing) or a stuck brake. The strange thing was that once the vehicle was going faster than 25mph, the problem went away. I think I caught the problem early on ...

With this SUV, I wish I could: 1. disable ABS (for me, it's bad when driving in snow and on ice) 2. disable the locking differential (it is a pain to backup, when in four wheel drive).

Scott M
    Northern KY
    2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think that I've only used the ABS like once or twice since I've owned the vehicle. Worked fine for me, glad to have them. I'm in Texas though, no snow or ice except one day every 3 years. :)

Well, glad you got use out of your extended warranty. That saved you some $$ sounds like. What type of warranty does the new rear end cost? Also, who did the work?

5. 03TrailBlazer

03TrailBlazer Rockstar

I actually let the local dealership (Tom Gill Chevrolet) do the work (I know, I am sure it was at a premium) because they always do good warranty work and since it was under the extended warranty, I figured why not. The total repair bill was around $1,800.00 but that include a $300.00 pinion seal leak fix as well. (they found this one- I did not even realize it was leaking)

Really, I am not upset about this last repair, since it only cost me $200.00. It could have been a lot worse. Also, this truck has only been in the shop 4 times (previously for a broken rear window regulator, a problem with the windshield wiper transmission and a recall {tail light I think}) over the course of 3 years.

The last SUV I had, a 2000 ChevyBlazer, was a junker. Over the course of the 3 years I had the truck, it was in the shop 13 times- about once every 3 months. Each time, it was something stupid that went wrong- except for twice, in which the 4WD went out (the truck would not switch out of 4WD HI).

Glad I got rid of that truck.

Thanks !!!!

6. ChevyFan

Yeah, the blazer isn't built as well as the TB, that's for sure.

My rig has only been in once since I've owned it, that was for the taillight recall and I got an Envoy loaner for 24 hours so it was all good.