rear differential

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by brooklyn718, Apr 15, 2008.

1. brooklyn718

brooklyn718 New Member

hi ,

I have a 1999 yukon, 4wd . i notice i always have a small leak where the rear differential is at. is there a D.I.Y on changing the gasket on here or refilling it. please help

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Where is it leaking: pinion seal or cover gasket or other? Cover gasket is easy (just remove the bolts, pull the cover off, clean it up and reinstall)? Do you have access to any manuals? Pinion seal procedure is detailed in Chiltons. If it has to be an internet based procedure, Autozone has the information from Chiltons on their web-site.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

if it is the cover gasket just take off the old one, take out or scrape off old gasket and clean up cover. let gear oil drain out and clean out inside of diff with brakleen to get all old oil to drain out. clean off inside of cover with brakleen as well and wipe everything dry. when inside of diff is dry, use permatex gasket maker (blue or black) and squirt liberally around the outside edge of the diff cover where it will meet the diff housing. push the cover on the diff housing and bolt it back on. fill the diff with recommended gear oil. I like to jack up the side of the axle that has the filler hole in it so i can get a little more oil in also. let sit a couple hours just to make sure the permatex dries and your good to go!!

4. brooklyn718

brooklyn718 New Member

thanks, i will try that this weekend. i was worried if i unscrew those bolts something might fall out.

5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

nope, the only thing comin out is some stinky gear oil so have an oil pan underneath it

6. GoFastPadre

GoFastPadre Rockstar 100 Posts

And some rubberr glovs or the smell will stay with you for a while.

7. brooklyn718

brooklyn718 New Member

where is the refill cap for the diffferential , i looked everywhere, only seeing a allen shape bolt on the side. it looks like the drain cap. can anyone post pics

8. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

on the front pinion on the passenger side is a 3/8" square plug. All you have to do to open it is to stick a 3/8 drive ratchet extension in there with a ratchet on it. There's a real socket for that, but I dont' know anyone who has one...