Rear Disc brake kit

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Has anyone swapped out the rear drums for disc on their truck?
    was it front ABS only?
    how easy was it? how do you like it?

im looking at a kit, please let me know.
    thanks! =)

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'll tell you what happened to me, and let you make a judgement.

2004 Chevy Colorado 2wd disc front brakes, drum rear brakes. Rear disc conversion kit was $1,100 for my truck. I couldn't justify that much for brakes, so I found a better solution. Swapped the whole rear axle from a Trailblazer SS, 12" rotors 4 piston calipers, 4.10 gears, LSD $500 cash money at the junkyard.

I got multiple upgrades in the same boat, as far as ABS I deleted the whole original setup. Went to all braided stainless lines, added a line lock, proportioning valve and she was good to go. I have around $1,000 in the whole setup, less then what they wanted for my disc brake conversion kit.....

3. Headroom

Headroom New Member

What was your original gear ratio? How do you spec what proportioning valve to get?

4. nikkeshelton

nikkeshelton Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Just curious but why did you swap out your drum brakes for disc? I've a 2009 serria 1500 and would like to do the same (as in junk yard swap) but wonder if it is really work it. Am changing out the front with Willwood disc & calipers, like the look and I know disc are lighter but need a better reason than it looks better.

5. TRPLXL2

[MENTION=60217]Headroom[/MENTION] My original gear ratio was 3.42, I need to get my truck retuned as the speedometer is off by about 15mph.
    [MENTION=53769]nikkeshelton[/MENTION]- the real reason I did the swap was for the 4.10 gears, better splined axles, and a locker for a two wheel burnout. The disc brakes were welcomed as this also accompanied a V8 swap

As far as proportioning valves, I still don't honestly understand them lol!! I went to Summit Racing, told them my setup and they sold me the one I have and it works great.

6. K15 Blazer Guy

cool!!
    i was thinking about getting a junk yard axle as well, especially if i could get a 12 of 14 bolt...... but i just paid over $1,000 because my factory 10 bolt blew out on a road trip X(... so yeah... would be difficult to sell a brand new 10bolt posi that got used... i was stranded and needed it.

it would just be a pain to hunt for the correct gears and a good posi unit in a simmilar high millage truck... but it may be worth it... not sure if i would need a different proportioning valve though. the one now tracks very straight in a panic stop

i think deleting the ABS is easier on OBD 2 vehicles... when i disable mine the whole computer freaks out, throws check engine lights, and the speedo does not work...

7. TRPLXL2

I can't speak as far as the idiot lights and stuff, because we are running an IPAD for a gauge cluster but I'm sure there would be all kinds of lights on lol!!! As far as the speedometer not working, that is a weird problem....

8. K15 Blazer Guy

indeed so.....
    guess i just need to stick to the limit of stock, unless i want to rewire the whole vehicle.... which would SUCK to do and pass emissions... CA sucks Xp