1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear disc for drums on Silverado?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 13, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I guess I am not clear about the original post. I did not see a year/make/model.

Here are pics I took when replacing my rear disc's and there is no question it is a combination Disc/Drum setup. The discs are for regular braking and the drum is for the e-brake.

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/album.php?albumid=22106#axzz2CGKC6I7W
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not sure what model year they changed it on but GM trucks are back to rear drum brakes, they may still use Disc's on some models, but the standard GM truck braking system is Disc front Drum rear again.
  3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

you are very correct on that comment with the power of drum brakes and the use of the emergency brake performance. I would never rely on my rotor park brake shoes to hold my 20 ft boat on the boat ramp. I carry wheel stops just in case they are needed.
  4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

How do Silverados with the Max Towing package with 4 wheel discs do the parking brake thing?
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

No guys, you missed my point. What I was trying to say, was that in today's trucks, there is no such thing as an emergency brake, we have parking brakes (I had hi-lited the section I was referring to)

By emergency brake, I mean a brake that can slow/stop the vehicle if the main braking system fails. This is why the main braking system has 2 master cylinder pistons and 2 separate pressure circuits.

The rear rotor has a built in drum (the rotor is called a top hat), there is a shoe inside the drum that is used as a parking brake, check out the link [MENTION=52280]nakranij[/MENTION] posted.
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your correct, it's mistakenly called an emergency brake but they really cant and shouldnt be used for that purpose, their actually listed as parking brakes in the owners manuals.