1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear door windows do not operate.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Raredirt, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Raredirt

Raredirt New Member

Rear side door windows do not respond to switches at all. Window lock switch makes no difference. All the fuses I can find that pertain to rear windows are good. I do not have shop manual electrical diagrams yet.

Anyone seen these same symptoms and have a solution?

2. Raredirt

Raredirt New Member

Found the problem. Most would say failed motors. Truth is, dirty commutators in the motors. Cleaned up, they work fine. This rig has 150,000 on it and there is very little wear on the commutators or the driven gear. Wiping both the brushes and commutators with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner gets a lot of black film off. Not apparent just to look at them.

Hardest part is to get the brushes back in the brush holders. Solution is a ring of pipe or tube 3/4" OD by about 1/2" long. Real close to same as comutator. Poke the brushes back in place against the ring tool (not easy, but is possible) and then the motor shaft and commutator can be slipped back between the brushes pushing the ring tool out of the way very easily.

3. jmcover

jmcover Rockstar

Nice...

Window motors like to used, they self-clean. Seen a few saved by emory clothing on the brushes / rotors.

4. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

[MENTION=69482]Raredirt[/MENTION], I'm very glad you solved your problem, good job. Now, let's help some others. If you had provided your vehicle info in the original post, someone may have had an answer. Now, if you provide your vehicle info after the fact, maybe it will help the next guy.

5. Raredirt

Raredirt New Member

Point well taken about vehicle info. 2000 Yukon XL 1500, 5.3. This info is in my profile, so I thought it was available to all.

I learned that if you reassemble the motor to the regulator mechanism 180 from the way it came apart, the motor runs backwards. So the switch direction is reversed. That means you get to do most of the job all over again. Motor fits both ways but the printing on the motor housing should not be visible when properly installed in the door.