1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear doors do not stay open??????? [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by shutty, Dec 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shutty

shutty New Member

Hey everyone, I have 2007 Express 3500 cargo van and when I open rear doors they are to stay open straight back. If there is any wind the doors will fly back and make contact with side of van. Plus if anything is next to you the doors will hit. Called Chevy and they DO NOT recognize this as a problem. What can be done about this? Used to have Ford van and there was a hinge assembly that kept doors open in place, and you could release it to open doors to side. Our 03 Astro has same hinge assembly.
    Thanks Kevin
  2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Welcome to the site.

My '85 has nylon straps, midway between the hinges, that keep the doors from flying all the way open. I can release the straps if I want the doors open all the way. You could get some webbing, or old seat belts, and make your own.
    I admit, I haven't seen the '07 model, so I don't know if there is supposed to be a catch in the hinge to keep it from flying around.

Good luck,
  3. Dezzmo

Dezzmo New Member

I have an 06 GMC Savana 3500 with the same hinge assembly as your Astro and Ford van. I attached a pic so you can compare them. It appears that your missing the "stop" and/or hinge assy in the door jams.

Did you buy your van new or used? Please take a pic and post it here. I'd like to see what it looks like and hopefully we can help you get this sorted out. If you need more pics let me know and I'll get them for you.

Attached Files:

4. Dezzmo

Dezzmo New Member

I went back outside and took a better look and noticed that my hinge assembly is bolted to the body. You may be missing the assembly on your van which is causing the doors to open too far.

Please keep us posted:rofl:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.