Rear Drivers side door won't open

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Michael Johnson, Feb 8, 2011.

1. 91 Chevy Sub 1500, 5.7, 700r4/4L60, 3:42 gears, 4X4.

I thought at first that I couldn't open the door because of all the freezing rain that we have been having but things got warm enough to melt everything and I still can't open the door. I have tried both the inside and outside door handles as well as cycling the door locks both by the electrical door lock switch and manually with no luck. There is also a rattle in the door so I imagine that part of the hardware has slipped off its correct location. I know that given enough time I can get the inside door panel off but it really seems to me that the door has to be open to get the door panel off. Any suggestions for opening the door? Is it possible to take the door panel off with the door shut? Running out of ideas here other than the dreaded give up and take it to a mechanic.

2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

I just went out and looked at my Sub. Getting the panel off is not going to be an easy task, but I do believe you could do it. Hopefully your seats are in the up position. If they are laying flat, it may be nearly impossible.

If they are up, you will need the shortest phillips you have, and wedge it between the seat and door panel. There are 3 screws on the bottom of the panel, and 2 in the door pull, and after that it's just going to be a fight to get the panel un-clipped.

Good luck, and let me know how it goes...

3. Thanks for that I guess i didn't even think about a shorty screwdriver. I just looked at it and thought "man I can't get in there" LOL

4. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

Buying a shorty will be a hell of a lot cheaper than taking it to a mechanic...