1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Drum Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Barnettamb, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

I just changed my front brakes on my 1500 silverado. the squealing has almost completely stopped. how often are you suppossed to change rear brakes. i watched a video and it looks a lot harder. when are your rear brakes even used.
  2. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I didn't change mine till 120,000 miles on my '05, and they weren't completely gone, just out of spec for PA inspection. Most of the braking is done by the front brakes which is why they went to bigger rotors in '05.
  3. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

ok thanks do you know when your rear brakes are actually used? i know that it is also the emergency brake.
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Assuming the brakes are working correctly, they should apply every time you press the brake pedal.
  5. Gryphon

Gryphon Member

Rear brakes actuate with every press on the brake pedal. Drums do not exert as much braking force as disc brakes, so they are used in rear applications only anymore (since the mid 1970's). As the rear brakes do less work because of the forward weight shift during stopping, they may wear slower than the front brakes.

They do need to be inspected periodically. Once or twice a year at least. Whenever you rotate your tires (should be every 5k miles), you should check them out. If the shoe material wears down the mounting rivets, you will have metal-on-metal contact that can damage your brake drums...and your brakes won't work anymore either.

Same with the parking brake as it activates the same mechanism to hold your truck in place...and as an emergency secondary braking system that is cable actuated should the hydraulic system fail. I had a brake hose blow out once. The parking/emergency brake saved by butt. Squealing noises can come from the rear brakes as well.
  6. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

thank you very much