1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Drum or Convert to Rear Disc??

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Bowtie69, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Bowtie69

Bowtie69 New Member

I am throwing around the idea of swapping out my stock rear drum brakes for a disc conversion on my 2010 Silverado 1500 LT. Is it worth it? How much and how hard is it to complete? I have talked with friends, repair shops and I end up more confused each time. Looking for a little help and guidance. Thanks guys!

Bill
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would not do it, the braking system on that truck was designed for rear drum brakes. You would be just wasting your money. Remember, on pickups the rear brakes do very little work. Drum brakes on trucks last a really long time and do their job.

Everything I've read is that when people swap rear drums for a rear disc setup, braking gets worse. About the only thing you would accomplish by changing to rear discs is to make the rear brakes look better through the rims.
  3. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member 100 Posts

da faq? 2010 with drum brakes?
  4. stchman

The Silverado had rear disc from 2000 to 2004. Apparently people complained about the braking on the Silverado and GM went back to rear drums. For the 2014 model, GM has rear discs again.

A lot of people balk at rear drums, but they work well and last a long time.
  5. Bowtie69

Bowtie69 New Member

Thanks stchman! I really appreciate the info. I think I will take your advice and save my money. Nice ride you have!

Bill
  6. stchman

Thanks, I don't know how much it would cost for someone to convert the rear drum to disc, but I bet it would be on the order of $3K.

Many have said that if you want better feeling brakes, install braided brake lines.
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

actually i thought the reason they went back to drums was to cut production costs????

BTW I looked on summitracing.com

and the kits run right at $1000.00
  8. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That they do last a long time. But when it does come time, I find they are a pain in the behind. But that's ok. It's once in a while... A long while.
  9. Psyc0

Psyc0 New Member 100 Posts

For what it's worth: If You live in the northern latitudes where snow, ice, and ROAD SALT are predominent, stay with Your drum & shoe rear brakes.
    That type of system generally holds up superbly to Winter's worst, where rear disc brakes are rather quickly decimated by the corrosive road salt.
    I lived in the Northeast for 51.7 years, hence, I have first hand experience with the weather related road chemicals, plus the vehicle chassis deterioration.
    Hope this helps!
  10. Bowtie69

Bowtie69 New Member

I may do that in the future. I am going to switch the front rotors to drilled/slotted to give me better stopping power. I like to tow my boat a lot on weekends and I have read that this type of rotor and a good pad combination will give me better stopping power under load/towing conditions.

I am also going to put a front leveling kit in. How hard is this to do?