1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear end gears

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Bigmacnchez, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Bigmacnchez

Bigmacnchez Member

I'm running 24" wheels and 32.75" tall tires with my stock 3.73 gears and open diff. I'm wanting to re-gear it. I want either 3.73 to 4.10 with either a 33 or 35 inch tall tire at the end closer to 3.73. I know someone is going to tell me to grab a calculator. Already got one. I guess in my older years I can't remember the formula. Please help lost lots of power from bigger wheels 7" taller.

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

This Gear Ratio and Tire Size Chart, should be able to help, with which setup "Gears/Tire Size" will give you the Best in Fuel Mileage and/or Performance.

[​IMG]

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

so here is one formula for gear ratio which can be used to find what you want. There was a thread on it a while back if I can find it.

(New tire diameter/old (stock)tire diameter) x original gear ratio = New gear ratio

ie. (35/31) x 3.73 = 4.21
    so if new tire size is 35 and the stock tire was 31 you get 1.129. multiply by gear ratio 3.73. this gives you 4.21 which isnt made. you then need to choose a 4.10 or 4.56. The 4.10 will give you lower highway rpm but you will lose low end grunt. To find your effective gear ratio (so just tire change) just flip the old and new tire sizes.

Here is a decent online source to just plug it in http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartire.php

My personal opinion is 4.10 with 33's and go to 4.56 with 35. I basically have your truck in a 4x4 and currently run 4.10 with 35's. Did that mainly as I drove it daily with a large portion of highway, and I can definately tell the difference when I tow. If I start towing more, and its no longer a daily driver, I am considering regearing to get it back closer to the performance of the stock ratio.

4. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

I assume you used that tuner to re-program the ECU for the larger diameter tires?

My 2008 Silverado I used to own had 20" wheels with 275/55 R20 tires. Those tires were 31.91" tall, I also had 3.73 gears with a 4 speed auto. I noticed no loss in power at all. Granted your current tires are 0.85" taller.

If you do decide to go with 35" tires, 4.10 gears would be in order.

5. dsfloyd

6. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Silly question but I simply don't know: when you regear the rear end, do you replace just the internal gears or the whole axle?

7. dsfloyd

8. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Good info! I am wanting to get my truck re-geared. Thanks