1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear end noise.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AR Maker, Nov 21, 2013.

1. AR Maker

AR Maker New Member

Recently my truck (2011 Silverado 1500 LS ext cab 4X4) has been acting up. When I slow down to take a sharp turn or curve in the road, as soon as I roll back on the gas the rear end thumps like i just dropped the tranny in gear. It dosn't do this when I come to a complete stop and turn just when i slow to a curve or turn. Is this common and or normal? If not what do i need to look at as the cause?:grrrrrr:

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

might just need the slip yoke greased

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

with that the rear diff has sensed a slip /speed difference so it locked up.

I would check the rear diff fluid.. if it is dark or low remove the rear cover and clean the box out ..then add the proper fluid which with the eaton locker and the tag on the diff should say 75-90 wt synthetic..

4. clgoch187

clgoch187 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

My 03 has been doing that forever...theres too much play between the pinion and ring gear, it should be re shimmer but I've been running it like this for over 3 years now so I might well run it till she blows

5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I suspect @j cat is right. In a turn, the inside wheel is turning a lot slower than the outside, a little burp of the gas and the inside wheel (which is lighter in a turn) will spin, when it spins, the G80 pawl locks the two sides and a clunk/thud is felt and there might be a little "crow hopping" until the pawl drops out releasing the lock.

Mine is an '09 and the combo of G80 and traction/stability control wears out my rear tires faster than the front. First truck I ever had that wears out the rears first.

6. j cat

that is an odd one where your rear tires wear faster.

7. Clunker

Clunker New Member

I have an '08 LT 4X4 (bought new). It has had that clunking or thumping ever since (hence my user name). I've taken it in several times. Every time, they grease the slip yoke and say it's fixed. And, for about 2 months, it stops doing it. Then it starts again. I'm out of warranty now, so I hope nothing falls out from under the truck one day.

8. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I thought it was as well. They wear straight across, so I think they are aligned correctly. The rear brakes also wear faster than the front, but there doesn't appear to be any drag. I've been blaming the traction/stability controls

9. j cat

I used to have the rear brakes wear faster , my rear calipers where distorted. the brakes would stick because of the cal pistons binding when the pads got 1/3 worn. replaced calipers and no more problems..

I removed calipers . removed pistons tried to slide pistons inside the bore they would stick half way in ..

got new cal 2 did same test smooth full in/out ..problem solved.

10. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Maybe one of the rear brakes is hanging and slowing the wheel down more than the other. Just a thought.