Rear end noise.

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by AR Maker, Nov 21, 2013.

1. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

AR Maker,

I understand that you are looking for advice from your fellow forum members. I might not be able to give you any technical advice but I would like to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
    GM Customer Care
  2. j cat

j cat Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am sure AR MARKER is quite aware he can go to the dealership and have them look at it for a couple of hundred dollars. perhaps fix it or say THEY ALL DO IT.

the forums are used to provide owners ANSWERS to the issues that the may have or think they have.

forum also provides procedures and help completing repairs.

you GM assistance people always want to communicate with private messages and I HAVE ISSUES WITH THAT !

do me a favor and find out why we tax payers are getting short changed on the bail out by about 11 billion dollars.

I would very much love to have GM post answers to forum members. also provide TSB/RECALL info ...

That will not happen !
    xPosTech likes this.
  3. Chevyguy69

Chevyguy69 Member

I'm just seeing this and was going to post the same. Mine has "clunked since new when I come to a stop and been to the dealers and it won't do it then. Well I'm way outta warranty now but it still does it. Lately it's done it Even after I've been Stopped for a few seconds and like I was pulling a trailer with a 2- 5/16 with a 1- 7/8 ball!! :confused:
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Go back to page one and read @Pikey post. I think that is your problem. This yoke slides back and forth as the driveline angle and distance changes. A lot of them get dry and don't move well, then they release with a clunk. The yoke material has actually been changed to provide better lubrication.
  5. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Yep, Ray is correct. Mine started doing it again yesterday. Time to drop the drive shaft and grease it again. The last time I did it was over a year ago. The new yokes are zinc plated to stop the noise, but they are also $250. A tube of grease is $3
  7. xPosTech

Quite a difference on return of investment. :)

8. Pikey

lol. Yea. I have considered attempting to install a Zerk in the yoke but if I screw it up then I am out $250
  9. xPosTech

Hmmm. I guess if the zerk was in the tailshaft the grease would thicken the fluid over time. What about a tiny diameter stainless line from the pressure test port to the tailshaft? Would the seal handle that much pressure?

Or why doesn't the fluid get to the slip joint now? Is the rear seal inboard of the tailshaft? If so, why does fluid leak with the tailshaft out?

Just wondering.

10. Pikey

Good questions Ted. I am not a trans guy so I am not sure. But if the rear seal on the trans is damaged fluid will leak out. I am pretty sure that if you put it in gear with the drive shaft out it will leak out of the back. I think that the trans fluid is just too thin to do what is needed, that is why the grease works. I pack the inside of the yoke and cover the outside