Rear End Popping

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Silverado man, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Silverado man

Silverado man New Member

I live in upstate New York where there is always snow on the ground so my back tires are always trying to spin and when they catch traction you hear a loud popping sound. ( i believe the is the locking pin in the rear end popping in place). I have talked to a friend and he said he as had to replace his locking pin and gears twice allready in his truck bc of this problem and he said to watch it bc if it under warrenty all the dealership will do is put a new pin in and that is it. I dont know much about vehicles but does this sound like that is what is happening with my truck is it is locking in and will probaly break soon and any suggestion on what to do about it? Thanks

2. ponybullitt

ponybullitt New Member

That sound your hearing is how the locking diffs sound on the 1500's. It is a normal operation of the locker. The 2500's do not make the sound because it is a limited slip with clutch packs. If it is making that banging in and out noise that means its working correctly. Every 1500 I have owned has made it, took me awhile to get used to it after having my 2500. Being I work in service at the dealership I looked into it and figured out the differences in the rear ends of the two models. You have nothing to worry about.

3. Z71_Man

Z71_Man New Member

I agree. Mine does the same thing and always has since new. This is normal, not classy, but normal.