1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear end questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by racinea64, Aug 10, 2012.

1. racinea64

racinea64 New Member

hows it goin guys i'm new to this fourm.

so i have an 87 GMC cabilero and i've been lookin for a posi unit so i can actually get somewhat of a good launch at the drag strip.

yesterday i came across a chevy 1500 4.3 vortec pickup and the salvage yard i'mnot sure of the year cause the doors were gone but i'm asuming that it was a 96 or newer. but anyway i spun the pasinger side tire and clunk the posi ingaged. but thats not the issue. I have no idea wether or not it has an 8.5 in ring gear. it's a 10 bolt and i stupedly forgot to look at the id tag.

and how do i tell if it has 28 splines of 30 spline axles?

also my car has a fore link suspension system that the upper control arms connecto to the top of the pumpkin case so i would need to weld the upper control arm mounts on. is the pumpkin case on that diff cast iron? and if so how could i attach the upper control arms so they wont come flying off on a hard launch?

p.s. i know this rear end is too wide, i've shortened axle widths before but i've always worked on leaf spring trucks never anything with a fore link

thanks for any info you can give me

Neil
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

You're barking up the wrong tree. GM used the Eaton G80 Gov-Loc in 1973 and newer trucks. This diff is not a good choice for a vehicle used on the dragstrip. It has many small parts inside, and they have been known to chuck those small parts with normal street use. On a strip it won't last long. You need a clutch type limited slip like the Eaton Posi or the Auburn