1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear End Shake 2003 Silverado 1500HD

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by 03HeavyHalf, May 27, 2011.

1. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf New Member

I recently put a lift on my 03 1500HD, 3 inch blocks rear and cranked stock keys. When i accelerate fast the rear end starts shaking and wants to hop around, it doesnt do it when i go slow, and its stopped doing it as bad over the last few days, but it still does it on hills. My main concern is will this affect towing, and how long will it take to stop? apparently the driveshaft needs time to adjust?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

No, that's not your driveshaft. Are you sure you torqued down the u-bolts for your block to the right amount? Sounds like they're loose. Double check your work. Also, how long have you had the blocks on? After something like 150-250 miles, you're supposed to re-torque the u-bolts. If you don't do it right you could lose a block from it slipping out and your axle will try to follow suit...
  3. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf New Member

well thats what i was afraid of it being. im going to check them today. and i only put the lift on monday.
  4. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yeah i have the same problem it's only at 40-45 mph though i have had my lift on for more than 2 or 3 months and havent got them retorqued but will be taking my truck to the dealership and my buddy who put the lift on for only $350 bucks is gonna retorque everything for me so hopefully that helps and also he's installing new boot's up front since they are cracked.. let me know if it helps or not buddy.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As mentioned most likely the rear U-bolts. We retorqued them after the first 150-200 miles and then again at 800-1,000 miles. They stretch when there new. My truck been lifted since '05 and every January I retorque all the nuts and bolts.
  6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It's also helpful to know that having blocks will cause the rear axle to have more wheel hop. By putting blocks in, everything becomes one big lever that wants to load and unload on acceleration causing wheel hop. But still, definitely recheck your u-bolt torque.
  7. 03HeavyHalf

03HeavyHalf New Member

Thanks guys. What is the torque supposed to be on the rear end? I got the torque wrench and everything but im not sure what its supposed to be set at?
  8. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Thanks i will make sure i get all my lift kit torqued to specs sometime end of next week since ill be busy until thursday afternoon i will let everyone know how it goes.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep as Crawdaddy said, block spromote wheel hop. The taller the block, the easier to get wheel hop. Back in '96 I had blocks and a add-a-leaf on my '96 'Burb and one time when I got on it to get threw some sand the rear end hopped and I broke my driveshaft. (crap). Fixed the driveshaft and installed new rear lift springs. No more wheel hop. If you run a tall block you should install traction bars. Now, a set of GOOD traction bars are almost/same cost of a set of lift springs so i went with the lift springs on my '05 silverado.
  10. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Definitely sounds like axle wrap due to the blocks. And yes, it will affect towing. Also, U-joints in poor condition could be causing some problems too. If you will be towing heavy and/or mountains, you may want to bite the bullet and get some new springs.