1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear End Squeak

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Steve-0, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

I have an '05 Ext Cab Silverado Z-71 that I just bought about a month ago. The other day I was hauling a load of landscaping block from Lowes (about 1500 lbs worth) and I noticed a pulsing squeak that would become more frequent the faster I went. It only happens while accelerating and not when cruising. Almost as if the exhaust is rubbing on something when the engine is under load and torqued over to one side. I figured that maybe with the load in the bed that maybe an exhaust hanger or something was rubbing on the under carriage and that once I unloaded the truck it would go away. Well, it didn't. Now it's getting louder by the day. I climbed under neath to take a look but couldn't find anything. I've pushed and pulled on about everything under the truck and can't seem to replicate the sound. Any ideas before I go to the dealer?
  2. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

Does the sound has a ringing squeakto it? Thinking maybe a U joint, noisey going up but quiet at speed. With the drive shaft working at a different angle under a higher load is makes me think U joint.

Phil
  3. Steve-0

Steve-0 New Member

You are exactly right. I took it to the dealer on Friday and they replaced both U-joints under warranty. 35k miles seemed a little early for U-joint replacement though.

Thanks for the input!

Steve
  4. FireRed

FireRed Rockstar 100 Posts

The former owner may have bathed them a few times, when I di a lot of woods running I would kill a set a lot sooner. Glad I have a good tip for you!

Phil