1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear End Squeaking?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by brentwal, Mar 16, 2013.

1. brentwal

brentwal New Member

Hey guys! New here, so I'll start out by telling you I have a 2010 Silverado, 5.3 4x4. Reg cab....... My baby.

Today, noticed a squeaking noise in the rear end. It sounds like rubber moving around, but I have no idea. It happens while moving slowly in reverse, and when accelerating at higher speeds. There is no vibration or anything else..... Just a god awful sound coming from the back.

Someone mentioned a CV arm to me - Just wondered what you guys thought!
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts

If its the rear it isn't a CV arm.... There aren't any... It may be a brushing that has dry rotted or became misaligned. If I were you I would look over all the rear suspension brushings. and poke at them seeing how soft they are and make make sure they are not cracking or crumbling.
  3. brentwal

brentwal New Member

I knew the CV arm thing sounded off....

I don't think it's a suspension thing though.... It sounds like a rotating thing, and linked to how fast I'm going, and if accelerating or not.

If it helps - I JUST had an oil change done. It's just funny I have it in the shop, and it comes out with this new problem. The truck is only 2.5 years old!

Would it be a U-joint???
  4. Conlan Rose

It may be a U-joint. May be a bearing or seal. The only way to tell will still be feeling around the rear end of that truck. Check everything for extra play, dry rot, cracking, improper lubrication and just plain looking out of place.
  5. geo1

geo1 Member

test drive with a passenger,listening from both sides that way,otherwise jack up and spin wheels one at a time,brake issue possibly?
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Check the u-joints and the fluid level in the rearend. It could be the rear brakes or the parking brake shoes inside the rear disc/drum.
  7. brentwal

brentwal New Member

I got under there - I reefed on the driveshaft both in and out of N - the U-joints are good and solid. Greased all the fittings I could find, and all the bushings and shackles are fine. It has to be something inside the wheel I guess.

Bugging the hell out of me. I just had it into the shop for an oil change, fluids and inspection. That was Thursday.
  8. geo1

geo1 Member

automatic trans?leave out parking brake,dont use it,correct?otherwise do wheels off the ground spin by hand test,another idea is to hose out inside rims,brake area to remove foreign debris,both easy checks,hope it helps
  9. Conlan Rose

[MENTION=59606]geo1[/MENTION] he should still check the parking brake. Even if he doesn't use it it may cause a problem. Also its a smart idea to use your parking brake it removes strain from the tranny and makes sure that if your vehicle is improperly towed or attempted to be stolen from you the transmission wont be ruined if they try to drag it from the front.
  10. geo1

geo1 Member

yes,you are correct,is there a quarter jar on here somewhere?i owe it one