rear end swap or gear swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rmagni, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rmagni

rmagni Rockstar

Hello everyone new here and wanted to get some opinions. I have an 08 regular cab 4x2 short bed the stock tires were removed and replaced with Tahoe wheels and tires 275/55-20 and man those things are heavy my truck has an open rear end with 3.23 gears and gets great mileage but acceleration is lacking I got a quote of 1200 dollars to change the rear gears from a local shop which seems awful high. I found a rear end on E-bay 3.73 gears and a limited slip with under 100 miles for 650 plus freight and wondered if I should just get another estimate or buy the rear end I know how to swap it out also is 3.73 to deep a gear I dont pull anything and the truck is just a toy.
    Thanks
    Robert

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If that Ebay rear end is out of a new truck that's not a bad deal. You should be able to find a better price than $1200 if you want to rebuild yours. Shop around.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I agree 1200 sounds way too high, unless it includes a limited slip. I would think 3.73 would be a good gear.

4. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

1200 for one axle is nuts!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Fairbanks Alaska and it only cost me $2000 to have both of my axles regeared including parts....that is including the shipping to AK.

5. rmagni

rmagni Rockstar

Thanks guys I appreciate all the responses. I am going to call a 4x4 shop here and check the price then see if the e-bay guy will go any lower.
    Thanks
    Robert