1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear end swap or gear swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rmagni, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rmagni

rmagni New Member

Hello everyone new here and wanted to get some opinions. I have an 08 regular cab 4x2 short bed the stock tires were removed and replaced with Tahoe wheels and tires 275/55-20 and man those things are heavy my truck has an open rear end with 3.23 gears and gets great mileage but acceleration is lacking I got a quote of 1200 dollars to change the rear gears from a local shop which seems awful high. I found a rear end on E-bay 3.73 gears and a limited slip with under 100 miles for 650 plus freight and wondered if I should just get another estimate or buy the rear end I know how to swap it out also is 3.73 to deep a gear I dont pull anything and the truck is just a toy.
    Thanks
    Robert
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If that Ebay rear end is out of a new truck that's not a bad deal. You should be able to find a better price than $1200 if you want to rebuild yours. Shop around.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I agree 1200 sounds way too high, unless it includes a limited slip. I would think 3.73 would be a good gear.
  4. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout New Member 100 Posts

1200 for one axle is nuts!!!!!!!!!!! I live in Fairbanks Alaska and it only cost me $2000 to have both of my axles regeared including parts....that is including the shipping to AK.
  5. rmagni

rmagni New Member

Thanks guys I appreciate all the responses. I am going to call a 4x4 shop here and check the price then see if the e-bay guy will go any lower.
    Thanks
    Robert