1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear end swap

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Landslide, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Landslide

Landslide New Member

So, pretty much everything in my rear pumpkin is destroyed,so my question is, I'd like to just replace the whole rear axle with something a little tougher and I'm wondering what kind of rear end will fit my 90 Burb 1500.
    I had a stronger350 motor built which is why I'm looking for a tougher rear end,any suggestions?
  2. ig109

ig109 New Member

A good friend of mine had a 14 bolt rear axle build by a company in Nevada, it includes all the 1/2 ton wheel flanges and even the 1/2 ton brakes.. but is still a 14 bolt center section.. Doubt that there is a 350 alive that could break a 14 bolt....:great:
  3. morgan

morgan New Member

Hey,

I'm not sure but I think the 90 burbans came with the corporate 10 bolt, which is burly enough in for a half ton. If your vehicle is 4X there are a few options you can do.

Put in the corporate 12 bolt or 14 bolt which are 3/4 and 1 ton axles with 8 lug bolt pattern which means new rims unless you want to get some custom axle shafts made and all that mess.

Then you also want to know about the front, two spares is ridiculous one for 6 lug and one for 8.

If 4X, the 90's model F-250's had the dana 44's with hubs and spindles that will bolt to the axle up front (corporate 10 bolt).

Corporate 10 bolt and dana 44 fronts are basically the same thing, I've been doing a lil research on this for my project. If not 4X idk, maybe front hubs from another 3/4 ton gm from a salvage yard match up!?

Hope this helps out.
  4. Landslide

Landslide New Member

Swap

Seeing as how I pull quite a bit up in the Sierras maybe I'll just find a way to slap a duellie rearend on my burb and be done, by the way thanks for the info I'm going to see if there's anything that might be in good nick at my local Pick n Pull that I can clean up and stick under there.
  5. jnbascom

jnbascom New Member

Hey Morgan, I don't think you can put in a Ford front end into a chev chassis. The differential is on the opposite side.
  6. inspectormatt

inspectormatt New Member

A 14 Bolt rear end from a light duty 3/4 ton will work, it will even have the 6 bolt hub pattern so you don't need a different spare for the front and rear axles. They are tough to find, not very common.