1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

rear end upgrade from 3.42 to 3.73

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by logangsxr998, Mar 11, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. logangsxr998

logangsxr998 New Member

I have a 2010 Silverado LTZ with the 6.2. I currently have a 3.42 rear end. Is it hard to upgrade to a 3.73 or more and what kind of costs would I be looking at?
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You're looking at around $1000 to have a professional install and set up the gears, which is what you'd want. You're not going to get a noticable performance increase, nor will you get a big MPG increase with that little of a gear ratio change.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

As Crawdaddy said you won't see much of a performance gain with just going with 3.73's from 3.42's. I'd go with 4.10's. Also is your truck 4X4, if so than you have to do both F&R gear sets. I have found it depends where you live how much the cost is. Also welcome to the club.
  4. logangsxr998

logangsxr998 New Member

Yes it is a 4x4 with 305/55/20 Nitto Grapper tires (33inch) and a 3 inch Rough Country lift, which sucks by the way. I know these thing affect performance, I guess I just expected more from the 6.2L.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did you reprogram the trucks computer for the taller tires? Also with that taller tire the truck acts like it has a 2.73 or 3.08 rear gear. I would regear the truck. the transmission would also like it.
  6. logangsxr998

logangsxr998 New Member

Yes I reprogrammed the computer. I also have a k and n and a Corsa exhaust. I want to re gear it. Is that the same as changing the rear end like I was talking about. I am asking not to be smart. I really don't know.
  7. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

yes its the same thing. and you will need to do both front and rear. with your current setup would suggest the 4.10's.
  8. logangsxr998

logangsxr998 New Member

Thank you for your help. Maybe I should just put a turbo or a supercharger on it.
  9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If your pulling a lot, then i would go for smaller tires or the 4:10 even lower gears instead of the turbo or SC !!! if its an all day kind of fun truck and you dont really pull much, then go for the SC !!!
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I see you have the Corsa exhaust, depending on the size this could be a factor in your H/P issues.
    Gas Engines dont neccessarily need backpressure from the exhaust system, what they really want is a byproduct of that backpressure, cylinder head scavenging, to keep it short and low tech scavenging is how the exhaust system helps clean out all the burned and unburned fuel air mix at the end of the burn on an exhaust stroke, this product helps creat better torque with a cleaner and better burning mix for the next stroke.
    Take a look at your exhaust system and see how free flowing it is, a wide open free flowing exhaust system on an engine that isnt running in the higher RPM range is actually inhibiting the engine from creating good useable torque.
    Is your K&N just a Filter or the kit? Either way you might take a look at that also and see if it isnt inhibiting the engine from making power in the RPM range you use most.
    Most products sold to increase H/P do just that, but usually they are most effective at the top of the RPM range and sacrafice power in the mid or low RPM ranges.
    Simple tweaks to your intake and exhaust system may be enough to satisfy your need for a little more power.