Rear gate lock...which key?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by timn33, Oct 25, 2007.

1. timn33

timn33 New Member

Hello all,
    First post for me, registered today and had my 1989 Burb for about a week.
    I am wondering which key should unlock the rear gate and will it also let me raise the power window manually once it's unlocked.
    My power rear window will lower, but won't raise back up and the keys I have won't go into the lock in the gate.
    Any and all help is appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

The round key should open and operate all external doors. The square key should operate the ignition. Now, if you have a locking center console and glovebox, I THINK that it's the round key that should lock and unlock those. As for why the window won't raise, I believe it's a fairly common issue that the motors wear out on the tailgates, but I may be wrong about that too. Hope this helps.

3. timn33

timn33 New Member

thanks

that DOES help. I was trying to rule-out whether or not I need to visit a locksmith or not to repair the lock to get he round key in there.
    Next question:
    Is there a way to manually raise the power window?
    Where's the best place to get a replacement power window motor?

Thanks again.

4. collinsperformance

collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

i have not worked with the motor in the suburban yet but on the bronck there are tourque pins and they wear out and can be replaced at a fraction of the cost of the motor. i did mine for free with fuel line. i hope the burban is the same....mike

5. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Our 86 got the tired glass problem, when you are turning the key in the tail gate, I believe it’s to the right to make it go up.

Pull on the glass with the other hand at the same time. Once it gets started you can push on the outside of the glass in an upward direction to get it up.

That will keep water out when it rains.

Now for the real problem.

You need to get the window up to replace the motor, clean the channels or anything that has to do with the motor.

You used to be able to buy new channels and things at the dealer, now I’m not sure.

6. timn33

timn33 New Member

Thanks guys. Actually. I am lead to believe that it's a known/common problem with the safety switch mounted on the inside tailgate threshold on the pass. side. It seems to be common for this switch to wear-out and not engage thus the gate 'thinks' it is down and preventing the window from raising. I am about to rule that out in a couple days.
    If all else fails is there a way to manually raise the window though?

Thanks

7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

There is a switch in the tailgate and yes it will prevent the glass from being raised. Problem is you need to get at it and with the window down that can be a biatch.

Try this first.

While turning the key in the tailgate take your left hand and push against the left side of the tailgate. If it is the switch this may give you just enough contact to get the window up.

After looking at your post again I see it may be on the passenger side, I really can’t remember so try pushing on one side and if that doesn’t work try the other.

The switch is located on the latch and hard to get at with the window down. So you may have to drop the tailgate, remove the rear window or at least get it up enough to get at the switch.

8. timn33

timn33 New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED! sorta

I got the power gate window to raise and lower...finally.
    It was a mixture of problems. I traced the wires from the das switch (White, Blue and orange w/ black stripe) back to the window regulator. It turns out there were some unconnected wires. I joined those back together and was able to raise the window enough to look at the condition of the scissor arms and tracks. Both were in bad shape... dry crusty grease. I scraped off the grease sanded and cleaned everything real good and regreased the hell out of it all and viola! Up and down goes the window.
    I still have something jammed in the gate key hole though, so I can only use the dash switch to operate the window. :(

9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

YEAH! I love it when people get real answers to problems with their vehicles on here, expecially a Burb!

Have you tried to un-freeze the lockwith some WD40 or something? I've had locks freeze up on me and that has helped me. Good news on your dash up/down switch though.