1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Rear Glass Wont Lock In When Closed

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Conlan Rose, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

So the rear hatch/glass on my '96 Tahoe takes about 15-20 times to get closed because the latching mechanism in the tailgate wont lock it in place like it is supposed to. I have tied lubricating the latch and fiddling with it to make it lock, but it just keeps getting worse every time I open the back of the truck. It kinda defeats the point of having a SUV if you can't open it with out the ability to then close it again.

2. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

never really had to deal with this, seeing as I've never owned one. But all latches and mechanisms wear out with age/use, so replacing it might be something to look into.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Not sure if this latching mechanism is designed like the one in the S-10/S-15 SUV's.
    I had problems with the rear latch on a 96 S-10 years ago, after disassembling and reassembling it a few times I figured out the mounting fasteners were shimmed and slotted to adjust it, after more playing I finally figured out the correct combination to get it to work correctly. As pointed out wear over the years makes tweaking and adjusting necessary because a hasp and lock mounted on the outside just dont look cool.

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Can you tell if it got bent at all?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. Conlan Rose

From what I can tell everything seems lined up and such the only part that is messed up is the part on the window that latches in. It has some wear from closing and opening that has removed material from the piece. But I'm unsure if the piece is replaceable.

6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It might be a 3D problem ... that is, I had at least one time in the past where the retaining latch got pushed inward over time just enough that it couldn't close the deal. Can you try to pull it out and see if it has any give at all?

7. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Is the piece coated in a plastic or rubber material? On my 02 I had issues with the extended cab doors closing and latching. It turned out that the plastic material coating the latch "loop" had peeled a little with wear. I took a razor blade to it, cleaning all the plastic off. They closed fine after that. Have you tried any kind of lubricant in the mechanism? I see what [MENTION=1]Steve[/MENTION] is saying about the latch. I think that there is a little arm in there that is supposed to get pushed telling the latch to "unlock" and close onto the loop. If that is not being touched, is bent or missing, that could be the issue. That kind of goes back to what @Tbplus 10 said about you needing to adjust the mechanism.

8. Conlan Rose

The latch loop is made of steel as is the latch assembly. The piece that should be holding it in place is there but it doesn't always lock like it is meant to when the rear is closed, yet when I try to close it by hand it works like a charm. Last winter I greased all the latches and hinges in the truck so its well lubed.

9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would spray some PB blaster on it just for the heck of it. Then I would "exercise" it open and closed by hand a bunch of times. Who knows it might free it up a little. I know that I always greased me extended cab door latches. But, a week before I sold it they started sticking. I pb blasted the crap out of them and moved them by hand repeatedly. They freed up.

10. ChevyFan

Photos please. I can't remember which piece is which. I'm saying that I either had a failure at the base of the piece that holds on the loop ... or maybe even a sheet metal "collapse" is you will that kept it from closing just enough with a soft close, but if you pushed it then it would close.