1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Rear Glass Wont Lock In When Closed

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by Conlan Rose, Oct 14, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I just looked at the diagram for the back of your truck. Then I "borrowed" some pictures from another forum, It looks like you can adjust the latch. If you look at the third pic. the bolt hole is slotted. It might be as simple as loosening the bolt and sliding it closer to the rear of the truck. Wow, the truck in the pic is dirty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, [MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION]. That looks like a strong candidate for a potential solution.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I think that might fix the problem. I will have to call my dad and tell him I think I found a fix. Looks simple enough anyone could do it. Wish I had the truck with me to try it right now.
  4. Pikey

you may have to pull the interior panel to get to that bolt and nut
  5. Conlan Rose

Yup you do I've taken it apart before because my tail gate handle wasn't working. Turned out the piece that attaches the handle lever to the rest of the assembly was missing so I used a bunch of chicken wire to attach them. I may buy new screws before doing this because the current ones are in bad shape. Also need to vacuum up more of the glass pieces that are in the tailgate and in the back of the truck. My dad broke the window trying to shut it because it wouldn't latch.
  6. Pikey

I wonder if your latch got bumped hard while loading something in the back
  7. Conlan Rose

It is highly possible. Its also possible people opening the rear wrong has messed it up. No one seems to understand that you open the glass THEN the tailgate they always go tailgate first and wonder why it wont open.
  8. Conlan Rose

Ok, so today I opened up the rear door and tried to fix the locking issue, but learned its not the latch that's not adjusted right it is the part on the window glass that latches in. Because the tailgate has sagged the latch is lower than it used to be so the glass clip needs to be adjusted down. It is easy to fix but I forgot my deep sockets in CT and I'm currently in VT so I will need to buy some deep ones up here to use and finish the fix.

I still keep finding glass every where and have removed trim panels and found shards behind them.

IMG_20131128_180836_497.jpg IMG_20131128_180859_722.jpg IMG_20131128_180925_183.jpg IMG_20131128_180939_618.jpg IMG_20131128_180950_898.jpg IMG_20131128_181003_585.jpg